Friday, June 02, 2006

It's National Accordion Month!

In honor of the month, the instrument that I play, and to all those squeezing before and after me, I'll be posting a number of accordion related pictures over the next week or two.

This picture is of Amy Jo Sawyer- a player I know little (or nothing rather) about but I think she may have been related to the Sociable Sawyers. You'll have to wait and see who they are.

Accordionists (a certain type- the type that establish things like the National Accordion Awareness (?) Month and endlessly cite all the pop stars who play the accordion as proof that it's not the domain of dorkdom) in the US are overwhelmingly concerned with righting the image of the accordionist in this culture. In the rest of the world the accordion is a staple of most cultures and isn't derided the way it is here.

If only we could hear the beautiful Amy Jo play for us today!

No comments: